TB: Red Skies (Ghio

Here is the last one from that Judge's training day (well, there's a few seedlings, but I don't remember who the hybridizers were.) I didn't photo everything in bloom, because I was, well, learning! :-) I try to be a good student . . . . :-) Even though Uncle Paul says I get in trouble.

What I found most interesting about this garden was how fast the iris grew. Mrs. Larson had these iris sent to her as guests for their region trek. They had only grown for 6 months in Arizona! Here in Michigan, (USDA zone 4) it takes the iris from late-summer planting in August, until winter (mid-october when first frost hits and all growth ceases) to establish. Then when the plants wake up in Spring (depending on if the freeze out, or grew strong enough) they'll either bloom a moderate stalk, with mid-sized flowers, or not bloom at all and just send up increases for the next year. In essence, it takes two years for me to get a bloom.

Loved visiting Arizona, and seeing the different climates. But I don't envy them for the heat!

From Michigan,
Adam ~

Red Skies (Joseph Ghio, R. 2006) Sdlg. 02-83N3. TB, 36" (91 cm), EM
S. claret-mahogany; F. red mahogany, blue blaze; beards gold. 00-48L: (House Afire x 97-135-R2: (U94-5E, unknown, x Saturday Night Live)) X 99-62-C2, Trial By Fire sib. Bay View 2007

JPEG image

Red Skies

JPEG image

Red Skies