Re: Just a couple of questions

  • Subject: Re: Just a couple of questions
  • From: "ACBern" <acbern@suddenlink.net>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 17:08:10 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

To me you're a little late but try it anyway. There are many different ways that people plant their seeds. I take it with your peat moss cups that you're planting individual seeds in each pot. That usually takes a lot of pots and depending on your germination rate, might be wasteful as some germination rates aren't too great.

I don't use soil at all for planting my seeds but use potting soil. This allows you to separate the plants when transplanting without too much damage to the roots. I soak the seeds for 10 days, changing the water every day and then plant the seeds 1" deep, keep the potting soil moist. I plant mine Nov. 1st or so and they're starting to come up now, even with the snow sitting on top of the pots. I  plant all of the seeds of one cross in one pot. That makes it easy to transplant when they get 3" high or so as you treat them as bare root and they break away fine for transplanting if you're careful. When I transplant I use vitamin B1, nothing when I plant the seeds.

Hope this helps from one way of planting seeds.

Art Bern
Grass Valley, CA