Re: Re: Re: What are they doing?

  • Subject: Re: Re: Re: What are they doing?
  • From: Bill Chaney <billchaney@ymail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 16:43:58 -0800 (PST)

Well, As a retired entomologist and former beekeeper, I think there may be another explanation.  Sometimes when there is just nothing blooming, honey bees will collect any small granular material in a desperate attempt to meet the requirements of the colony for pollen.  I have seen then collect sand, sawdust and other materials out of desperation (actually they are just responding to an instinct).  Maybe that's it.