Re: HYB: February Surprise
  • Subject: Re: HYB: February Surprise
  • From: irischapman@aim.com
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 12:51:58 -0500

Ther are two steps to producing flowering.
First, flower bud set.  this would ,( for most cultivars) would seem to be 5-6 days with temps between 16-21C (60-72F aprox) , when plant is mature

Next it needs the triggger for initiation of flower bud growth. Normally this is vernalization.

It would seem that the increases don't start to grow until flower bud set has occured. But flower bud will remain in ready state until it receives it's signal to start growth.

Donald, it would seem your seedling has signals for direct bloom (that is flowers as soon as bud set is induced) , but starts before plant has energy to form flower stalk.

I suspect that if you keep plant in tempeatures outside bud set temperatures, ie: min temp at night below 16C until plant has had some time to gain energy, that flower stalks would be normal. You have a direct bloomer, or a summmer rebloomer. But it would show this better in a cooler climate, where it likely would have summer rebloom, and gain plant energy before being triggered into bud set.

Chuck Chapman