Re: HYB: Lunar Whitewash
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: HYB: Lunar Whitewash
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 09:18:30 -0500

Mary Lou  --  Iâm glad to hear of your seedlings.  Iâve had Lunar Whitewash for several years and admire it, but it usually reblooms too late to beat the freeze.  This past year was one of my best rebloom years, but LW showed up too late again and was zapped.  --  Griff

Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:28 PM
Subject: [iris-photos] HYB: Lunar Whitewash

I've never seen LW growing anywhere but here.

In my garden, it reblooms early enough to get the job done,
but doesn't seem to have the vigor to develop branches with
buds.  Since it's the product of a sibling cross, I've always
suspected some diminished vigor was a result.

Terrific quality bloom, especially for a not-blue Z5 RE.

After 10 years at it, I have several pod candidates with all the
vigor anyone could want.  There are currently about 70 seedlings
in here with me out of LW by Coral Chalice and English Charm
waiting for spring.  Tilting at the not-blue amoena windmill.

They are doing fine so far.  Vigor can come from either side.
Generally, though, I get more vigor if mom is the tough one.
Mitochondrial DNA is my guess.

Mary Lou, near Indianapolis