Re: OT: Jasminum

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] OT: Jasminum
  • From: John I Jones jijones@usjoneses.com
  • Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 21:29:35 -0800

Carlos,

I don't understand your language, but I assume you are asking if this is
J. azoricum or J. sambac. I don't know if anyone can tell from the
picture alone, but the following botanical descriptions may help you.

 From HortusThird:

Sambac - Ait. Arabian J. Evergreen, climbing, sts. pubescent; leaves
opposite, leaflets 1, sometimes in 3's broad-ovate. to 3 in. long;
flowers white, in clusters, fragrant, calyx teeth linear, to 3/8 in
long, corolla tube to 1/2 in long, lobes oblong to orbicular, about as
long as tube. Cv. 'Grand Duke of Tuscany'. Flowers double. In
cultivation so long that nativity uncertain, but probably asiatic.
Flowers used to flavor tea.

azoricum L. Scandent shrub; leaves opposite, leaflets 3, ovate, acute, 1
1/4 - 2 in. long; flowers white, fragrant, pedicelled, in terminal
panicles, calyx short, tubular-campanulate, calyx teeth 5, 1/16 in.
long, corolla tybe to 1/8 in. long, lobes 5-6, 1/2 - 5/8 in. long.
Madeira. Most material culitvated under this name is J. fluminense.

--

http://www.AISGiftShop.com

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA