Re: Seedlings are emerging

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Seedlings are emerging
  • From: Margie Valenzuela IrisLady@comcast.net
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 15:05:02 -0700

Hi Francelle,
These seedlings have been coming up for about 3 weeks now.  They are planted in window boxes and I'll transplant them directly into the ground during the monsoon season. This year I used about half potting soil and half "seedling starting" soil.  I planted the seeds the beginning of November - after soaking them for 3-4 days.
With the weather being so warm - - the seedlings that have emerged in the last 7-10 days - have seemed to have caught up in size with the others!
HINT: A friend of mine said if (once in a while) you add a diluted solution of Miracle Gro in your watering bucket - -(to keep those seeds moist) the nitrogen will help the seeds to germinate.  Does seem like a higher percentage of the seeds germinated this year!  Maybe it was due to the diluted Miracle Gro solution.  It's hard to tell it if was due to THAT, or the soil mix, or our weather. (Or a combination of all 3). This was the first year I tried the solution.
Margie V.
Oro Valley, AZ.
Zone 8/9