Re: Re: Peach Spot

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: Peach Spot
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" <neilm@charter.net>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 10:24:28 -0500

Linda, the mention of the problem of shortness in the yellow/pink amoena group reminds me of the Barry Blyth article that appeared in *Tall Talk" in the past couple of years.  He ran into a host of problems that were stubbornly difficult in lines that stemmed from Sunset Snows and Lightning Ridge as well.  When he branched out and worked from other materials, especially involving Ghio lines, his breeding took off and led to the present wealth of superior introductions.  I *think* I am representing or summarizing what I read--or read into--what he had to say.  If you don't have that article, I might try copying it and sending it to you--or you could get that issue, as back issues of most *Tall Talk* publications are available for a nominal fee.
In any event, what Barry had to say may be very worth while in view of your objectives.  I've heard it often said--"Build on the successes of the past."  It takes just as much work and frustration to raise seedlings from hopeless dead ends as it does working from the best of the best.  Our difficulty, it seems, is to figure out *which* potential parents fall into which category.  Just because a variety is new or from a top-notch breeder doesn't always mean it is going to be a "best of the best" as a parent.  Bill Burleson made a remark not long ago about trusting his instinct in making crosses.  I think he is laying his finger on something very important--there is a gift in knowing what is going to be good.  Some have it, judging by results.  Some of the rest of us depend on the sheer mass of numbers to get to good offspring.  If you make *enough* compost, you eventually get a good one or two, maybe.  How fortunate they are who have the intuitive gift!
Neil Mogensen  z 7  western NC

Yahoo! Groups Links