Re: Re: Peach Spot

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: Peach Spot
  • From: John I Jones <jijones@usjoneses.com>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 11:53:22 -0800

On Jan 3, 2004, at 11:14 AM, oneofcultivars@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 1/3/2004 9:31:22 AM Central Standard Time,
> neilm@charter.net writes:
> In any event, what Barry had to say may be very worth while in view of
> your objectives.  I've heard it often said--"Build on the successes of
> the past."
> This is an attitude that seems to permeate the thinking of great
> hybridizers regardless of the species with which they work. Pat
> Stamile (winner of several Stout medals) in the daylily world said
> (with much humility) that we stand on the backs of others who have
> gone before us. Just one more reason good hybridizers are heroes here.

Many recognize the wisdom of the remark Sir Isaac Newton made in a
letter to Robert Hooke written on  5 February 1676...

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants"

Presumably this is a statement to say that if he has been able to
conclude more about the universe than those before him it is because he
is working in the light of their work and acheivements.

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Director, American Iris Society

Subscribe to iris@hort.net by sending: