Re: HYB: sdlng blue spot

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: HYB: sdlng blue spot
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:43:00 -0500

 Thanks Margie & Neil. You are correct, Margie.  I do not grow
arilbreds, tho I have killed a few and got a few more from a local club
member last summer.

I dug out my notes on 'blue spot' and it was actually from the first
crop of seeds harvested after joining this list (hence, for the first
time, I took some notes!) in 1996.  It is (S1:(I. pallida x 'Mulberry
Rose') X bee).  It might be a sibling to S1bwh that I posted earlier -
my notes don't say whether or not there was more than one bee pod on S1
that year.

The pedigree of 'Mulberry Rose' isn't in the checklist, but I think
Neil, or Keith Keppel or Mike Lowe or somebody posted some information
about it here once before.  I will try to dig it out.  Mike and I had
wondered if it had some aril ancestry when we were admiring it at the
HIPS do a few years back.  I can't remember what we finally concluded.

I have a repeat/ever blooming pale blue plicata seedling that I might
try to cross it with, or maybe HEMSTITCHED.  The only one of the
cultivars suggested that I have is ORONOCO FLOW (thanks to Neil and the
trunkload of gift irises last year), but it doesn't look very healthy.
Like Betty, I didn't know I was interested in plicatas <g>, so haven't
tried to grow many.

I have no idea whether this thing is fertile - never could think of
anything interesting to cross it with until this discussion.  I think
it's quite charming as it is.  They don't show too well in the photo,
but in addition to the blue spot, it has nice chocolate 'whiskers' on
the hafts either side of the beard.

Margie said:
< I'm fascinated with your seedling. I like that fog-like blue "spot".
It almost looks as if there is some arilbred breeding behind it - there
may not be - it just looks as if there is.   I don't recall ever reading
                     you also grow arilbreds - do you?
                          "You know Linda - - it couldn't hurt crossing
your seedling with a dark blue Plicata... Blue
                          Staccatto comes to mind (Gibson 76, a nice 40"
tall, and a good grower (at least in this
                          neck of the states). Blooms EM.)"-- Margie V.
                          Neil comments:
                          There are a couple descendants of 'Blue
Staccatto' in circulation that may be useful,
                          includind the BB Dykes Medal (England)
'Orinoco Flow.' It has strong costrast also, and
                          does throw full height TB's.  Another,
although dated, but still very good is another seedling
                          of 'Blue Staccatto,' 'Rare Treat.'

                          Some of Keppel's very dark rimmed plicatas
from the black plicata line developing might be
                          useful too, such as 'Charleston.'

                          Neil Mogensen  z 7  western NC

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Yahoo! Groups Links