Re: Iris ignominy?

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Iris ignominy?
  • From: Robt R Pries <rpries@sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 13:52:16 -0800 (PST)

Neil of course you are correct that this does not belong on Iris photos, it is the same type of Faux Pas as using Caps. I just wanted to sample opinion. I don't belong to Iris talk because it is too big a group and I can't handle that many messages. I belonged year ago when it was called something else and it seemed there were 50 messages a week on Iris borer and they kept saying the same thing. Maybe it has improved but i haven't taken the chance.

The American iris society was founded in 1920 mostly because there were so many misnamed iris and iris with duplicate names etc. Everybody was doing their own thing. The AIS helped form the organizations that now governs cultivar names and suggest Title Case in single quotes. They were very active and the 1939 checklist was the end result. after 20 years experience many of the problems that arose out of the 39 checklist were resolved at the 1959 convention of Horticulturalists that provide the foundation of the cultivar code we now live by. The AIS arose mainly out of Horticultural Societies which predominated after the turn of the century. The St Louis Horticultural Society and the Massachusetts Horticultural Society were extremely important. Iris working groups developed that spun off to become AIS and other specialty groups. During its early years AIS put an enormous effort into registration sorting out the redundant and conflicting names in their network of test gardens. I believe AIS was one of the leaders in the early development of the system we have today. It seems sad that we don't follow this small rule which came about through much of this early energy.

Neil A Mogensen <neilm@charter.net> wrote:
Using Outlook Express it is not only possible to print a word in color, but also in bold, itallic and any combination thereof.

Iris names stand out in capital letters, and, as has been noted by several, are much more easily spotted so written.  In response to Robert Pries' original post I tried out the stated convention of  'single quote' and used the grammatical convention of capitalization as is done with all proper names.  The names were invisible as far as I could see.  I find the suggested convention for our use on Iris-talk, Iris-photos and the various other groups pertaining to our communications a hindrance rather than a help.

One further comment.  Would this thread not have been more appropriate for Iris-talk rather than Iris-photos?  I, try as I might, find no photographic referent, content or relevance in the thread.  Its import seems quite in place, however, on the companion site--where echos of the thread are appearing.  If I were to give the thread a new name I might consider TEAPOT TEMPEST, but I note that is already taken (and is growing quite nicely here).

Just out of curiousity, what plant or horticultural societies predate the American Iris Society?

Neil Mogensen   z  7  on alternate Tuesdays, western NC

Yahoo! Groups Links

Yahoo! Groups Links