Re: Re: Glaciata Median seedling - Chapman/Paul

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: Glaciata Median seedling - Chapman/Paul
  • From: "J. Paul Hill" <lacedgables@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 02:55:03 -0800 (PST)

Margie Valenzuela <IrisLady@comcast.net> wrote:
Thank you both Paul and Chuck for answering my question, however that leads me to another..............

Does this mean that any pale color self (no matter the color), Amoena, Bitone, or bicolor - if it has no half marks - - it is considered a Glaciata?  Or must it come from Plic breeding?

Margie V.
Oro Valley, AZ.
Zone 8/9
IrisLady@comcast.net

Margie:  I am looking at the July 2003  AIS Bulletin and on page fifty one  is an article by Keith Keppel that explains better than I could......"These are segregates out of plicata breeding which carry no anthocyanin pigments whatsoever......Since not even the merest hint of anthocyanin pigment can be formed by galciatas, their carotene colors are totally unsullied by the greying effect of the cool anthocyanin pigments..."

My personal guess would be that if you took a petal off a non-glaciata flower and looked deep inside the throat area, you would see some form of haft markings.  Important to note the mention of the carotene coloration, meaning only the yellow/pink/salmon/orange/and some whites...but I do not pretend to have all the answers...Good question!  Paul

Yahoo! Groups Links

Do you Yahoo!?

Yahoo! Groups Links