Re: HYB: Blyth survivors (was Photos: Hill sdlngs)

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: HYB: Blyth survivors (was Photos: Hill sdlngs)
  • From: Linda Mann lmann@volfirst.net
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 08:07:27 -0500

Paul, Griff, others, I too am very interested in trying to hybridize
with Blyth/Keppel/Ghio lovelies that thrive in my difficult growing
conditions.  My primary interest is health and vigor (TBs) & I'm working
in that direction by crossing them with some of Zurbrigg's very tough
and healthy rebloomers.

Not much to show for it so far.

Keppel mostly offers the most recent Blyth intros.  The largest
selection of "older" Blyth irises is probably Mid-America.  Riverview
also offers quite a few.  Unfortunately, none of these growers
(including Blyth) has the summer heat combined with alternating drought
and deluge we have in our climate.  Walter Moores and Bill Burleson in
Mississippi have both tried growing quite a range of Blyth intros and
are a good source of information on performance in the soggy southeast.
Griff, you are in a similar USDA zone, but I've noticed that irises
perform quite differently in your more coastal location than here.

Last year, I really went overboard getting Blyth intros to try here.
Some were purchases, some were swaps, some gifts.  I will report after
bloom season on how they seem to be holding up here.  Two that have
already caught my eye for their health here are ABOUT TOWN and CRAZY FOR
YOU.

Griff - there is a lot of information in the iris-talk archives about
performance of various Blyth cultivars in various parts of the country.

Paul, if you have time, I'd be very interested in hearing which recent
Blyth/Keppel/Ghio (and Maryott for that matter) cultivars have been
really healthy in your Atlanta garden.

[Paul - Iris-talk is probably the best place to post that info, so folks
who want to search for that information in the future will know where to
look for it. ]

J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com> wrote:
< ... I'm partial to Blyth irises and have several, but MAN ABOUT TOWN
isn't among them. ... I  may select from ..(or derivatives of them) that
I have here.  They
 include AURA LIGHT,  BEACH GIRL, CHINESE TREASURE, TOWN CLOWN, BEAU
ZAM, ELECTRIQUE, KNIGHTED, AFFAIRE, WITCHING, NIGHT GAME (Keppel), NIGHT
ATTACK (Ghio) and CHAMPAGNE ELEGANCE (Niswonger).  And I think it's
time to get some more, but I'd like to buy plants that are already
acclimated to the  U.S., rather than direct from Oz.  These would
include WEARING RUBIES,  ANTIQUITY, IN THE STARS, LOUISA'S SONG, WILD
VISION, ABOUT TOWN, SOFIA, YES,  and ARIANNA.  Anyone know where these
might be available in this quarter of the world?  --  Griff
--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to: