TB: Cult: Sierra Grande Stylecrests appendage

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] TB: Cult: Sierra Grande Stylecrests appendage
  • From: "Cordesview" cordesview@m33access.com
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 10:42:58 -0500

I am sending this photo under high definition so that you can see what I saw with this bloom from Sierra Grande last summer.
As I was hybridizing this flower, I couldn't help but notice that the stylecrest and lip of the styles were formed differently.  There was a split in the crest, and then a stamen-shaped appendage of the styles that had part of the lips also on it.  This particular cross took, which was Sierra Grande x Tangerine Dream (or Mountain View . . . depending on if my records are right!). I also got 36 seeds from that pod. It might be tricky telling which iris is the pollen parent!  I suppose I'll just look at the seedlings in a few years and see who has funny stylecrests. :-)
This was not the only stylecrest on this bloom to have the "appendages," as you can see one more sticking up between the crest on the back-right style.  Not only were these "appendages" apparent on this stalk, but it seemed to affect the entire clump.  None of the iris around showed abnormalities with blooms, but Honky Tonk Blues had "horns" on the bud sheaths as the stalk was growing.  That cultivar was planted about 3 feet away from SG
There have been no fertilizers, sprays, or chemicals used on this patch, so I have no idea (except for genetics) that could cause this interesting appendage.
Juri P. posed a nifty photo of appendages on a newer iris, Chinook Winds (T. Johnson '03).  I wonder what these traits will produce if crossed?
Also, if you're still reading this e-mail and aren't bored yet. . . (!) those stamens on Sierra Grande look a little brown.  Could that be a reason why I never saw any pods from crosses using SG as the pollen parent?  It was only 9:05 AM when I took the photo and made the pollination.  Temperature was 70F and it was overcast.
Has anyone else successfully used Sierra Grande as a pollen parent??

President -- Mio Iriarians
Hillman, Michigan
Region 6
Zone 4 (and a half. . . )