Re: TB: (1 Photos) Seedling - with veining color

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] TB: (1 Photos) Seedling - with veining color
  • From: "David Ferguson" manzano57@msn.com
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:44:34 -0700
  • Seal-send-time: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:44:34 -0700

Hi,

I don't understand the genetics well enough to answer with any degree of certainty, but the pattern does remind me of a common pattern that came from crossing I. pallida with I. variegata long ago.  In that case it seems perhaps the I. variegata pattern (not the "variegata" coloring we refer to now, but the striped falls and nearly unmarked standards of I. variegata) was combining with and/or being modified by the plicata pattern of I. pallida.  It expressed itself in those diploids in varying degrees from barely striped (with the strongest expression usually at the shoulders) to covering the entire falls.

I've been referring to the ones with mostly just shoulder striping as the "Flavescens" pattern, and it is seen in cultivars like 'Joyance', 'Flavescens', 'G.P.Baker', 'Mrs. Horace Darwin', 'Mrs. George Darwin', 'Queen of May', etc.  However, in all of those there are fewer veins in smaller and narrower petals, so the look of the overall pattern is somewhat less intricate.

It seems to me that this may be an expression of similar genetics, but the tetraploid compliments and the influence from additional ancestors and developments, could mean that it is totally unrelated too.

Dave

Yahoo! Groups Links