Re: Analysis of MS seedlings -Beards

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Analysis of MS seedlings -Beards
  • From: "irischap" irischapman@netscape.net
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 04:13:32 -0000

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, "Margie Valenzuela"
<IrisLady@c...> wrote:
> Is the pigment analysis done on beards the same as on the petals?
> Margie V.
> Oro Valley, AZ.
> Zone 8/9
> IrisLady@c...

The presence of lycopene can be identified but it is a bit trickier
but do-able.
Cut out the beard and heat it in an Alcohol. I use methyl hydrate, but
rubbing alcohol will also work. I heat in a small amount ( cover the
beard plus a little more) and put it in a pyrex measuring cup. This is
suspended by the handle in a saucepan of water which is then placed on
the stove. The double boiler technique helps you control the heating
and makes the procedure much safer. Of course a beaker and stand and
Bunsen (or alcohol lamp) would make it even easier but then it would
be a lab and not kitchen chemistry. Don't use the microwave. Too many
fumes in a small space. Running the stove vent during this whole
procedure is recommenced.

The anthocyanins and carotenes will dissolve but the lycopene won't.
If the cooked beard is white, then no lycopene. If pink, then you have
lycopene and the plant is tttt. 1005 accurate.

You can also use a cold method, but it takes longer. Put the beard in
a container and cover with alcohol and leave it for several hours.
About 5 hours works well, a day would certainly be ok.

I have done this with red beards and found them to be lycopene plus
something else. The beard was pink afterwards.

The lycopene will dissolve in benzene and in oil.

Chuck Chapman

Yahoo! Groups Links