RE: HYB: extracting pigment and Tomato red

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] RE: HYB: extracting pigment and Tomato red
  • From: irischapman@netscape.net
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 09:23:05 -0500

I haven't tried benzene but suspect that it would work well. This would be
after all the other pigments have been extracted with alcohol.

The pink colour is puzzling when compared to extracted pigment.
I posted a couple of photos here a few months ago showing my extractions of
tomatoes. I extracted the carotenes etcetera with alcohol. It took about 6
extractions before I had most of it out. At that point the tomato paste
remaining was  pink. I've just reattached this photo. I also have a pink iris
petal there for comparison.

Since then I have done some further research. All tomatoes have both lycopene
and carotene as well as perhaps some xanthophyl which in this case (tomatoes)
is yellow. The xanthophyll are made from the carotenes which are made from

Thus tomato red is not just lycopene in more enhanced form. It is in most
cases lycopene plus carotene. The  yellow tomatoes you see are xanthophyll
pigments. Actually a lot of yellow flowers of various species seem to be
xanthophyl based.

When I have extracted the carotene etc from poppy red beards of iris I have
been left with a pink beard. Thus it would seem that poppy red beards can be
composed of carotene plus lycopene. Perhaps all of them are. I would like to
try a few more before saying so but at this point the evidence certainly
points in this direction.

The pink colour in plant cells could have something to with the structure. I
have thought of it somewhat as looking at a light orange-pink colour through
a kleenex tissue which could simulate a cell wall.

The lycopene is hard to extract. It certainly holds onto the tissue strongly.
It was fairly easy to extract from the tomato paste remains (pink) shown in
the photo but by that point (after 6 heated alcohol extractions) the cell
tissues had been probably well broken down.

Hope this helps

Chuck Chapman