Re: yellow plicata?

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: yellow plicata?
  • From: "irischap" irischapman@netscape.net
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 04:30:49 -0000

In a lot of of iris there is a fine line and its often difficult to
draw the line. In the photo you posted Margie, Light Beam seems to
have  a faint anthocyanin tint which it doesn't in my photo (not
posted). This still doesn't distract from the clear evidence of the
yellow on white patern.

In Kiss of Gold it also varies from photo to photo. Still it is a
brown  on yellow plicata even if the brown is a light tan. A closer
look shows some yellow on white streaking at certain places. I would
have to say that in this case the evidence would precude it from a
tight definition of yellow plicata. The whole category of red and
brown and even rosy-violet on white would indicate that there are a
fair number of plants where the yellow pigment is controlled by the
plicata gene. If we were to be looser with the definition, these also
would qualify. It becomes a mater of how to define something. A
definition based on genotype (genetic composition) would say all the
red and brown etc should be in there. A combined genotype and
phenotype definition would include " distribution of oil based
pigments (carotene, lycopene ) that  is controlled by the plicata
genes and in a pattern seen in plicatas" or something similar. This
would excude these types.  It would need some sort of agreement  of a
committee of experts. Of course this would leave the problem of what
to call all the red and brown on white etc.

The problen of Again and Again leaves us with two problems.  It
certainly looks like a zonal plicata and the pod parent ( Matrix) is
arguably a plicata. The pollen parent has I Do in background and it is
known to be a plicata carier I personally suspect that in the right
cross AaA would produce enough recognizable plicata offspring to merit
incluson. The extra problem is that zonals are not officailly
recognized to be plicatas. Some definatly are but it has not been
shown that all zonals are plicata. Some seem to not be. What is
lacking is the type of research that Dr. Randolf did. That is several
generations of crosses carefully choosen to provide us with the
necessary data. Right now some test crosses have been made but stopped
after first generation as a lot of seedlings didn't meet current
definitions of plicata. Dr. Randolf found the same thing in his data
but chose some of these seemingly non-plcatas and they showed in the
next generation that they were. See page 353 in his book "Garden
Iris". I personnaly think that there are some pigment/plicata
interactions that produce plants that we don't recognize as plicatas
under current definitions. If, as my data strongly suggests, that
luminata patterns are three glaciata and one luminata gene and that
glaciata genes are only partially recessive, then  the plants with
three glaciata genes and one luminata  & the ones with four luminata
genes have not been identified. These two patterns have four plicata
genes ( I'm not including the dominant Pl in this count) and thus are
plicata but don't look like any of our traditional plicatas. Now start
adding the AE ( anthocyanin enhancemet genes) It seems that each time
we add one more AE gene into the mix, the plicata genotype  changes .
For example, the luminata-picata pattern, formerly called the fancy
plicata. At some point with adding AE genes into the mix, it may start
getting a more and more solid pattern and become a zonal in appearance
or even look like a self. It would take several generations of crosses
with plicata without AE to pull back the traditional plicata patterns.

At this point this is pure speculation and theoretical speculation at
that, as is the idea that the cell structure is responsible for the
yellow plicata distribution. Both are  testable and I have a number of
crosses from the past few years that hopefully will give me some data
. Some of it will require several generations. The cell structure data
will need some lab work that I can't do and would reqquire funding
which is not likely until there is enough convincing data on the
exsistence of an oil based pigment distribution controlled by the
(a)plicata gene allele.
Sunkist Delight is one of the ones being tested. It's pattern is
certainly suggestive and intriging.

Chuck Chapman

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, "Margie Valenzuela"
<IrisLady@c...> wrote:
> Betty, the darker colored iris was Light Beam, this lighter iris is
Again and Again.  "Light Beam" was taken in a California garden, in
the shade, and was really quite bright.
> What do you think of "Kiss of Gold"?  Any speculations on that one?
> Margie V.
> Oro Valley, AZ.
> Zone 8/9
> IrisLady@c...