Re: Re: HYB: garbage?- Betty

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: HYB: garbage?- Betty
  • From: Autmirislvr@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 22:51:42 EST

In a message dated 1/28/2005 7:20:42 P.M. Central Standard Time, IrisLady@comcast.net writes:
can you share one of your stories/maybe including a picture?
Margie, I wish I had pictures!  These things happened about 15 years ago and I didn't take pictures.  If they happened now, they would be well documented!  (other than notes)

In the early years, I was easily excited by a pretty face.  The third year's crosses (C69) produced a bright yellow laced seedling with a big purple beard.  It was from Spiced Orange X Laced Cotton.  I was so excited.  Beautiful bloom, beautiful lace, and beautiful beard! I even sent a piece of it to Lloyd Zurbrigg!

Well, the next year, the purple beard was gone and all that was left was a purple flash at the tip of a nice yellow beard.  In addition it never bloomed over 12 inches tall again and had a maximum of 4 blooms!  There were several good siblings and one is still in my yellow line.  But, all my dreams and visions were dashed.  I can still see it in my mind!

Two years later, there was Blazing Sunrise X Precious Moments. It gave several interesting seedlings, one especially good that I should have kept.  But the 1st year 'miracle' was a gorgeous delicate warm cream yellow with pretty form, and red veins in the standards.  Yes!  Red veins! By this point I knew it had to be an anomaly because red veins don't exist!  It bloomed on the top of my hill, being about as far away from the house as possible when you only have 2 acres.  A long 2 acres though!  I couldn't stay away from it.  I literally wore a path in the grass!

As I suspected, it bloomed without red veins the next year!

Then there was the red with yellow veins.  It stayed the same the next year (Play With Fire X Summer Olympics) but other problems showed up.  All stalks initiated at the same time and EACH stalk hit the ground as the second bloom opened!  There were many stalks and I probably should have kept it.

On the other side I had one scraggly looking thing that turned into a nice tall well branched iris.  Even the color was different.  It turned from a dingy 'ho-hum' white to a nice ecru. (Victoria Falls X Vanity)

Oh.  One of the best!  Late one fall, this lovely bitoned lavender (prettier than Mystique!) bloomed in my side yard.  Love at first sight.  (Sib to Theme Master & Another Bridge) It was so pretty that I was ready to introduce it right on the spot.  Even if it only bloomed in the fall!  Then it bloomed in the spring (a warm spring) and it was totally different.  A greyed lavender.  I don't think there was 2 shades difference in the standards and falls.  Ok.  But nothing outstanding.

Opps!  Sorry.  You said one story!  <bg>

Yahoo! Groups Links