HYB:Anomalys (garbage? any theories ?)

  • Subject: [iris-photos]HYB:Anomalys (garbage? any theories ?)
  • From: Autmirislvr@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 09:11:36 EST

In a message dated 1/29/2005 7:18:56 A.M. Central Standard Time, bardraj2003@yahoo.ca writes:
what happens to make a "poor iris" look
   that good and what's with the color changing ?
Sandra,  When I first started making crosses I was told by an experienced hybridizer that I couldn't trust first bloom because they were frequently atypical.  There are many things that seem to be contributing to "first" bloom and I can't explain that part since I don't understand it.  Maybe someone else on the list can.
However, with the purple one I can guess that part of it was the first bloom being late in the fall.  The temperature was quite cool.   (My first bloom on Bridge In Time was late in the fall and it bloomed with incredible substance and lace, very similar to My Valentine but without the red beard.)  With this seedling I moved it into different soil which could have contributed to the problem.  Still, it was quite a shock.  If I hadn't been 100% sure it was the same iris, I'd have sworn someone stole my seedling!  Once it was lined out, it retained the greyed lavender color.  A nice splash in an empty garden (when it reblooms), but not something to introduce.
Some things really ARE to good to be true!

Yahoo! Groups Links