Re: Re: AIS: membership trends in context.

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: AIS: membership trends in context.
  • From: oneofcultivars@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 12:33:52 EST

In a message dated 1/30/2005 8:06:48 AM Central Standard Time, rpries@sbcglobal.net writes:

I tried to find comparable figure for organizations as a group. Without paying for the data I only came up with the following press releases from “Bowling Alone’. In perspective it seems we have been doing very well

Most of the points in Putnum's book are "thumb nailed" in an interview at the following site. The copywrite is held by The National Endowment for Democracy and John Hopkins University. It gets a bit dry. It is worth reading by any who seek to understand what is happening in society.

Bowling Alone: America's Declining Social Capital

He does not offer solutions. That is not his purpose. Nor does he see changes as bad or good. He offers observation and profile of various societal segments and the population as a whole, drawing many interesting parallels.

Worth reading!

Bill Burleson

Yahoo! Groups Links