Re: Re: AIS: membership trends in context.

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: AIS: membership trends in context.
  • From: oneofcultivars@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:21:36 EST

In a message dated 1/31/2005 12:15:51 AM Central Standard Time, IrisLady@comcast.net writes:

Thank you Bill, for the book tip. :-)

Thank you Margie.
You might enjoy "Jacob the Baker" by Noah benShea. Its on the other end of the spectrum. Don't let any reviews you read turn you away from this book!

When I first encountered this publication, I was faced with a situation in which my family was physically separated. I was driving eight hours each weekend to maintain some semblance of family. Jacob the Baker was available on audio cassette so it got "read". That was well over a decade ago, maybe two.

My first take was that this book is a management text in capsule form. I was runnin' a business at the time. One of the more memorable parables in the book is about a teacher who led a student into the dark with a candle and then blew out the candle leaving the student in the dark. The student responded that he had been left in the dark. The teacher responded, No. I have left you looking for the light.

I was reminded of this parable when I read Plank's comment about the candle.

To continue, I left the cassette with my mother. She was so impressed by its simplicity and wisdom, she bought a copy for each of her children and several people in her Sunday school class. One of my sisters (a school teacher) began usin' it in her class. Another (a psychologist) uses it in her work today. My brother (now runnin' a rather large construction company, at the time was a construction foreman). Sadly, I do not know how it affected my other sister.

So, I guess I know not what to tell you this book really is beyond maybe focus or perception altering with wide application.

You gotta' read it!
No! Everybody's got to read it!
NO! I GOTTA' GO FIND ONE AND SEND IT TO YOU! And you can send it to someone else if you find it has the merit I suggest.

I will do so my next trip to the city (town). These sometimes are more than a week apart.

Bill Burleson

A review or promotion follows:
"Jacob the Baker is a treasury of answers in the form of brief stories and parables, told by a baker who is a poet of truth and kindness. The questions put to Jacob are as diverse as death and charity, eternity and anger, but Jacob's responses are always a celebration of rightness, a reminder of the purpose and order in life. He is a wise and gentle friend who renews our sense of belonging to the world."

Yahoo! Groups Links