Re: SPU:Strange Growth

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] SPU:Strange Growth
  • From: "David Ferguson" manzano57@msn.com
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 10:35:46 -0700
  • Seal-send-time: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 10:35:46 -0700

It's a neat photo.  I liked seeing it.  Looks like it's trying to get above some imaginary high water mark.

I've seen other plants, mostly monocots (Iris, Yucca, Agave, Lilies, etc.) occasionally produce an oddball plantlet from an axil on a flower stalk, but this looks like a rhizome trying to become a stem or stolon and then changing its mind.  Perhaps it wants to become an epiphyte, or maybe it's an aspiring astronaut?

Dave