Re: Seedling Iris tectorum hybrid

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Seedling Iris tectorum hybrid
  • From: irischapman@netscape.net
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 12:08:10 -0500

Thanks for the photos. Certainly look like a hybrid.

I don't consider the purple at the base as PBF. This is a different
condition, I call it purple rhizome (perhaps someone has a different
term that has been used). This is seperate from PBF which is on the
leaves and usually several inches of the leaf.  There are a lot of
smaller iris (SDB, MDB etc.) with this colouration in various
intensities.  I started to record this at one time and also classified
some as having both purple rhizome and PBF.  PBF is only on leaves
where exposed to sun, purple rhizome is most pronounced  under leaves
and not reduced by absence of sun. If you do an epidermal peel of PBF
you find it only in the epidermis.

Chuck Chapman