"Twinning" in Bearded iris seedlings (Re:)

  • Subject: "Twinning" in Bearded iris seedlings (Re:)
  • From: "Cordesview" <cordesview@m33access.com>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 10:23:13 -0500

While scrolling through the archives, I just found the post by Elm mentioning the "twinning" effect he had on his Aril X bearded species seedlings.

I had the same phenomenon occur last summer when I was lining out my bearded iris seedlings.  It seems to me it was a cross involving SDB's, possibly CHUBBY CHEEKS x INVISIBLE.  Then again, it might be a TB cross, too.

The funny thing is ( and I suppose it's because I'm a "budding" hybridizer, and I catch every detail I can), I noticed it when the seedlings were only about 2 or 3 inches tall.  These two just "stuck" together when I took them out of the pot.  I ran to the barn, and washed them off with a spray hose, and they were connected at the base, where the rhizome would be forming.

Funny me, I didn't take a picture of it!!!  Must've been busy that day . . .

But I think I can find it again, since I gave my seedlings lots of space.  so if I do, I'll dig it up and post a photo of it.  I, too, would like to find out if the blooms will be identical or different from each fan!

Adam~

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group