Re: TB: Iris Pedigrees

  • Subject: Re: TB: Iris Pedigrees
  • From: smciris@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 12:53:42 EST

I certainly agree that the chart format is easier to work with.  It leaves plenty of room for hand-written notes about things like tracing the transmission of specific traits.  All of my pedigree notebooks contained multi-generation charts.

Many years and a number of computers ago, I wrote some programs to program to generate up to five-generation pedigree charts from a database.  Then all I had to do was enter the names or seedling numbers of the pod parent and pollen parent and, if they were in the database, the program would prepare a chart using all available pedigrees.   This made it easy to analyze a lot of "what if" crosses as well as evaluate potential parents.

A commercial package became available in the 1990s, so I switched over to it rather than devote time to maintaining my own.  I think someone was trying to develop another one in the late 1990s.  Just wondering if anything equivalent is available now....

Sharon McAllister