HYB: Growing tree pedigrees

  • Subject: HYB: Growing tree pedigrees
  • From: christian foster <flatnflashy@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 05:04:09 -0800 (PST)

Hey gang,
I know some of you have been looking at Linda's (?) pedigrees in family tree format.
I worked up the tree pedigree for the new Schreiner's flat last night.  I used a white board I have in my office, so I thought I'ld share a picture.
I'm not sure how Linda builds her trees but what I usually do is write the pedigree out along the long edge of a paper.  I usually have to use a fine point pen and often stack the words of a cv's name to save space, this pedigree wouldn't fit on my paper so I did it on the white board.  After it is written out I draw lines connecting the parenthesis into sets.  From there it's essentially just a matter of turning the paper to see the branches of the tree.
In this picture the thin blue line about 1/3 the way down is the parenthetical pedigree written out.  Below that are the pink and green brackets.  For this pedigree, which is particularly dense and involved, I found it necisary to write the seedling number on the bracket itself.  Below the bracketing lines I have drawn a rough tree pedigree, which I will copy over into my Word template.
I left the file size a bit large so that the details wouldn't all be lost.... hope it goes through and doesn't cause too many fits.