HYB: Pedigree Analysis

  • Subject: HYB: Pedigree Analysis
  • From: smciris@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 14:59:26 EST

Well, my curiousity finally got the best of me and last night I started experimenting....
Family Legends is the program I've used for some years to maintain my genealogy database.  Although it is designed with human beings in mind, I was able to trick it into handling iris.  While it doesn't print the standard-format iris pedigree charts like the programs I wrote years ago did, Family Legends does prepare a detailed ancestral chart with the needed information and that is in itself a major time-saver.
In less than three hours, I figured out how to configure the database, entered five test cases (candidates for 2008 introduction) and got individual charts covering as many as 8 generations.  The real pay-off will come with future subjects, because I won't have to re-enter information about any of the parents now in the database.
If anyone is interested in trying this, I can elaborate on the "how-to's".
BTW -- if you are interested in nicely formatted three-generation pedigrees set up for use with photos, I believe that Hybridizer Pro is still available.  I tried it, but did not convert to it because I was interested in analyzing many more generations than it could handle.
Sharon McAllister