Re: [iris] Re: TB: awards - Decadence
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [iris] Re: TB: awards - Decadence
  • From: Betty Wilkerson <Autmirislvr@aol.com>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 10:28:20 -0500 (EST)

The way I see this, awards are simply a numbers thing. Decadence and
other irises mentioned grow and prosper in mild (er) climates than
mine. I suspect the mineral makeup is different, also. People in those
climates spend more time gardening--because they can. This results is
more gardens and more judges. By virtue of their numbers, the irises
they like win the most awards.

Many years ago at a Region 7 meeting, a popular CA breeder made this
comment, "When people quit buying irises for their blooms, I'll quit
breeding for the bloom!" (a summary) This was in response to
complaints about iris fans and (maybe) branching. It made sense to me.

>From a personal view, people are not going to buy my irises if they
don't appeal to the masses. It made sense to me to find out what type
of irises are currently trending. I've spent many hours doing the
research. I don't work on lines that I do not personally find
attractive or enjoy, but other than that anything TB is possible.

I've done my research and know which things may be tender here. If a
new iris dies without blooming, so be it. If I'm crazy about it, I'll
have it replaced. If it blooms and everything else falls in place,
I'll use it. I may grow them in pots until I get several rhizomes, OR
I'll add some extra lime in the planting hole. (Blyth limes each year
so it's just possible his irises need more lime!)

I'm loving the effects of Decadence, Treasured, Romantic Evening ( & 18
of it's children) and others in the seedling bed, but I won't introduce
anything that doesn't live up to my critera. I work to breed out, or
around, the weaknesses.

If you don't want to take the chances I take? Buy irises from local
suppliers. They have already taken the chances.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Betty Wilkerson
Zone 6 KY
autmirislvr@aol.com