Re: Re: Where have all the images gone
  • Subject: Re: Re: Where have all the images gone
  • From: Robert Pries <robertpries@embarqmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 15:07:32 -0500 (EST)

A wiki is a database that is constructed by its users. Wikipedia is the most famous example. The Iris Encyclopedia is a wki of Iris information, free to all, paid for by the American Iris Society. Like public television we hope you join as a member and help sustain it. For as low as $15 you can join and help support it. But it is free to all, so that quality Iris information is going out to the internet, unlike some commercial sites. Anyone can register as a user and add images and information. No one has yet to loose those priviledges by abusing the system. It has been up for almost two years and we have pages for 41,000 cultivars and species. We estimate there are about 80,000 pages needed to explain and define everything Iris. So our work (your work also if you register) is only half done. There are 300+ registered users who have added images and information.While it took 2 years to get thi! s far that was starting with about a dozen people. We could easily complete the task this year if everyone continues working. When "finished" it will not only be a illustrated milenial checklist but a wonderful forum for exchanging knowledge.  Since I qualify as an old coot also you are certainly welcome to join.