Re: Reb: what the.. Cricket Song surprise...
  • Subject: Re: Reb: what the.. Cricket Song surprise...
  • From: Bill Chaney <billchaney@ymail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 10:05:36 -0800 (PST)

'Cricket Song' is a very interesting plant.  Tom is to be congratulated for his innovation.  This plant is species X (species X species).  I. cengialtii X 'Clown Pants': (I. variegata, Beardsley clone, X I. suaveole! ns var. mellita), specifically.

Tom sent me a piece also, and this spring I got one bloomstalk.  Although it is (we assume) a diploid, it set seed for me as pod parent from 3 different tetraploid pollens.  I did not have success setting pods from it as pollen parent (that doesn't mean I will not keep trying).  The seed counts were low, and I have not yet had any germination; so time will tell.

I encourage you to not only use its pollen, but put some of your best reblooming pollen on it too.

Good Luck!