Re: TB: Unknown burgundy

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: TB: Unknown burgundy
  • From: neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 17:07:58 -0000

--- In iris-photos@y..., Mike U <land_of_mu@y...> wrote:
"I Received this in a trade, with several other named irises,
marked 'Burgundy...."

Mike, I have no idea what it might be, but I note some
characteristics--one is the paper-sheath below the bud.  This
couldn't be a diploid could it?  Not many tets have paper sheaths,
although it did occur--Snow Flurry for example has them.

Also the lack--or near lack--of conspicuous haft marks.  That also is
unusual in early reds and burgandy colors.  One of the first to have
really clean color was TECHNICOLOR and from it, TOMECO.  This
burgandy may have kinship with TECHNICOLOR.  The quality was so
unusual that Schreiners went on to build from this line of breeding
with VITAFIRE and through its offspring POST TIME, almost all more
recent reds.

Many reds and burgandies have purple or reddish leaf bases.  Is this
one colored or plain?

Neil Mogensen  zone 6b/7a near Asheville, NC