HYB: George Slade and other KY hybridizers.

  • Subject: [iris-photos] HYB: George Slade and other KY hybridizers.
  • From: BigAlligator@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 22:55:55 EDT

In a message dated 7/31/01 10:42:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
gerrysnyder@mediaone.net writes:

<< Very striking. I bet it would be a lot better known if it came from
 a more famous hybridizer. Can you give some more info about him?>>

Gerry,
     George Slade hybridized and introduced Irises from his home a few miles
from Cynthiana, KY during the late 1970's and 1980's.  I grew some of those
when I lived in Kentucky, and found them to be well suited for the area, with
the lone exception of KENTUCKY COAL.
     His best known and probably most widely distributed Iris is SIX PACK,
which is a blue, with six falls, six beards, and no standards.  I have heard
of it being grown in Australia.
      He is not the only hybridizer in Kentucky.  Ed Roberts, who lives a few
miles out of Frankfort, KY, and Hugh Thurman, who lives in Frankfort, KY,
also hybridize some pretty doggone good Irises.  Although not suited to
Florida, those Irises deserve to be much more widely grown.  Those in TB
country should try AMERICAN STYLE and BORN A KING.
     Then, we must not forget Betty in Bowling Green, KY.  Also, I think that
Rita Adkins of Frenchburg, KY has done some hybridizing, but I don't know if
she has registered or introduced anything yet.

Mark A. Cook
BigAlligator@aol.com
Dunnellon, Florida.

Small business owners...