Re: Setosa Seedling

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Setosa Seedling
  • From: "irischap" <irischapman@netscape.net>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 11:10:15 -0000

--- In iris-photos@y..., Dennis Kramb <dkramb@b...> wrote:
> It looks Siberian-ish to me.  But I'm no expert!

It does at first glance to me to. The differences from usual sibtosa
is the lack of flower substance, shape of falls  and the foliage.
Again my experience with sibtosa is limited.  I think most sibtosa
have foliage nearly the height of the flower stalk and narrow upright
foliage, This has wide floppy foliage much shorter then flower stalk.
I also think that sibtosas have some substance to the flowers or at
least more substance then setosa usually have. I had looked at some
sibtosa photos on the net only a few minutes ago and they had good
substance, some flare and narrow upright foliage.

Again there is much variation so its hard to say.

I made a few crosses yesterday with pollen from some pseudacorus on
the seedling. The pollen wasn't in great shape (hot and dry here right
now). Also there are some bee pods that I can grow, if there are
seeds. The bees can easily choose from specis-X, pseudacorus, setosa,
and siberian. The Siberian-species 2003 convention planting is right
beside it. I'll also try to get a good look at a plant root to see if
that tells me anything.

Any information on variations re sibtosa is welcome.

Chuck Chapman