Re: New seedling

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] New seedling
  • From: "Hensler" <hensler@povn.com>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 17:36:28 -0700

Hi Bob,

Considering that it doesn't get a lot of water, it's in a bed that saw a
minimum of compost over four years ago, and the temperature's been 100 for
the last couple of days and it still looks good... Yeah, I think it's a
keeper. :-)

The big reason I can't keep JIs alive here is that the soil just doesn't
hold water (It's rotten granite and sand.) If I water as much as purebreds
like, then all the nutrients get washed straight down past the roots. I'm
down to 6 pathetic JIs and have decided that it's a choice of making a
plastic lined bed filled with compost or toss them out. Rose Queen is 6"
tall this year and won't bloom (again) this year. I've had this one for 4
years. Hatsu Kagami and Crystal Halo are in nearly full shade, in a basin
shaped bed that I fill with water every few days and they've decided to
reward me with a bloom apiece... at around 18" tall. Cascade Crest is around
a foot tall and decided to show some increase this year so there's no bloom.
As long as all of these have been here they should have been good clumps by
now. :-/

What kind of growing conditions do you have?

Christy
Skip & Christy Hensler
THE ROCK GARDEN
Newport, WA