Re: judging awards

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] judging awards
  • From: John Jones jijones@usjoneses.com
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 21:33:22 -0700

I misspoke below. I can't award an AM, I can only vote for an iris to be
awarded an AM.

Laurie has a point in her post, you have to be aware of what does well
in your garden and your area. IF AMs don't do well, then certainly find
other sources for recommendations. That does not invalidate an AM for an
iris that does well in a lot different areas of the country.  No single
system will work for everyone.

John Jones wrote:

> harold wrote:
> > at our local iris scotity meeting this spring the guest we had and
> > most of the present seemed to think HM's and AM's should be awarded
> > regionaly not just to the big commercial growers
> > then the best of the regional awards get judged for higher awards
> > because some judges don't get to all the gardens   seems that all of
> > the big award go to the commercial growers and none of the little
> > people
> > i hope AIS would take this into consideration       clem
> Speaking as a Judge, I don't care who hybridized an iris, if I see that
> it grows well in a number of different place I will award it an AM.
> Virtually all the judges I know are the same way.  Large commercial
> growers get more awards because... (drum roll).... they do more
> hybridizing, and .... (drum roll).... they send more guests out to more
> places.  When you line out 30,000 seedlings, your chances of having some
> winners is a lot higher. Sure individuals and small growers can win
> awards, but they have a lower probability. There are instances of
> someone winning a Dykes Medal with their only introduction.

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Director, American Iris Society

Subscribe to iris@hort.net by sending: