[PHOTO] CULT: weed mulch | Fri, 18 Jul 2003 07:01:19" />

[PHOTO] CULT: weed mulch

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] CULT: weed mulch
  • From: Linda Mann lmann@volfirst.net
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 08:00:18 -0400

I got a question about the <mulch> in the photo of RENOWN.  That is
Roundup killed millet.  It was about 5 ft tall before I knocked it
back.  The birds sow the seeds all over the place during the winter and
it starts making a very dense stand after bloom season.  I Roundup
between the rows, then when that is dead, mash down the plants that are
growing in the rows and Roundup them.  Pretty easy to kill it all that
way.  Doesn't seem to hurt the irises & the dense stand of millet keeps
the other weeds under control.

I have another photo of pre-Roundup I will also post.

This photo is of regular weeds killed between the rows in the gravel
rows.  Millet hasn't established in this part of the garden.  A lot of
hand pulling in the rows in this part, but not too bad.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8