AIS: Ray Keisling-Memorial

  • Subject: [iris-photos] AIS: Ray Keisling-Memorial
  • From: John I Jones <jijones@usjoneses.com>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 11:41:32 -0700

Cleatis “Ray” Keisling

June 22, 1933 – July 19, 2004

Cleatis Ray Keisling, known to his many friends as Ray, passed away at St. Luke’s North Hospital on July 19, following an extended illness.

The son of Bethel Ray Keisling and Roxie Conner Keisling, Ray was born in Byrdstown, TN on June 22, 1933. He moved to the Kansas City area from Monroe, MI in 1984. He had a lifelong career in the photographic industry. Prior to his retirement, he owned Keisco, a photographic sales and services company in Liberty.

Ray had an avid interest in growing iris, and following his retirement in 1996, grew thousands of iris on his 4 acres, which he called the After Hours Iris Patch. He was a member of and tireless worker in the Greater Kansas City Iris Society and the Pony Express Iris Society in St. Joseph, MO.  He was active in the American Iris Society and was the immediate past Regional Vice President in Kansas and Missouri for that organization.

He is survived by his wife of 46 years, Judy Crainer Keisling; two sons, Donald Ray Keisling of Roanoke Rapids, NC and Kenneth Michael Keisling of Geneva, IL; three daughters, Elizabeth Denice Lupcke of Smyrna, GA, Pamela Louise Billings of Lee’s Summit, MO and Suzanne Marie Keisling, 11 grandchildren and 3 brothers and 1 sister.

Ray will be greatly missed by all of those who knew and loved him. His two cats, Dusty and Queenie who helped to comfort him during his illness will miss him too.

A memorial service will be held on Saturday, July 24 at 1 pm at McMurry United Methodist Church, 25 Eugene Field, in Claycomo, MO.  Interment will be at the Keisling family cemetery in Allons, TN.  Because Ray was readily recognized by his “trademark overalls,” the family says that “overalls” are optional at the service.

The family suggests that, in lieu of flowers, donations be made to Abundant Life Baptist Church, 414 S.W. Persels Rd., Lee's Summit, MO 64081.  Or, for our iris friends to "AIS Region 18 - Youth Fund" c/o Dennis Van Landuyt,Treasurer, 14936 Sale Barn Road, Versailles, MO 5565 to perpetuate the Youth Award Fund

John | "There be dragons here"

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Director, American Iris Society