{Disarmed} Re: Re: Cult: I. borer ~4th instar

  • Subject: {Disarmed} Re: [iris-photos] Re: Cult: I. borer ~4th instar
  • From: Rhonda Rizzo timandrhonda_6@yahoo.com
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 10:29:40 -0700 (PDT)

I want to thank everyone for there advice. I dug, trimmed, treated with bleach and potted my 40 remaining rhizomes and they are thriving in the direct sun on my patio. And it wasn't as bad a job as it sounded. Without your help I'm sure I would have lost them all.
Also I have noticed a dramatic difference in the survival rate in my garden from the hot and dry areas to the more most and humid areas. My new challenge is were to replant.
to all thanks againl!!!!!
Rochester, NY

Linda Hunt <nakihee@gmail.com> wrote:
That is interesting Shirley.  I live in Lascassas TN, we have a fair amount of humidity, but in 9 years of iris growing, I have seen one borer.  I really believe it came in on a borer that I bought.  I found it about 2 weeks after I planted it, burrowed about 1/2" into the rhizome.  I was able to save the rhizome, caught it early.  Only one I have ever seen and the members of our iris society in Murfreesboro TN say they just aren't a problem here...........thank goodness.  We are considered Middle TN as far as location is concerned.  South and a little east of Nashville.
Linda in Lascassas