RE: SPU Monspur Cambridge Blue

  • Subject: RE: SPU Monspur Cambridge Blue
  • From: Jan Lauritzen <janicelauritzen@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 12:30:31 -0700 (PDT)

A lot of the early work with irises (and most other plants) was collecting different species and varieties of species in the wild.  People who found new types named them and, sometimes, brought them back home and grew them there.
A hybridized iris is one which someone has crossed to produce the seeds, grown, and registered as a "new" iris.
There are also "hybrids" which are crosses between different species of iris - like a spuria and another kind of iris.
I am sure someone can give you a better, more detailed explaination.  This one is the quick one so you will understand what I was asking about Monspur Cambridge Blue.  It is listed in "The Illustrated Checklist of Spuria Irises" by Robert Pries as registered in 1910.  But it is also listed as introduced in 1910 and 1924.  I was asking if anyone knew whether it was collected by Barr or hybridized by Barr.
Hope this helps a little.
Jan in Chatsworth

Help me understand, collected vs hybridized?