Re: Just opened this morning

  • Subject: Re: Just opened this morning
  • From: Vicki <jvickic@comcast.net>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 16:39:20 -0700

Many thanks, one and all,  for your favorable comments. I am seriously thinking of introducing this IB in 2009.  This is another fertile seedling with aphylla in it's background.  Strictly tetraploid breeding which means it probably will be fertile with any other bearded iris.
We have so many outstanding seedlings now out of mixed chromosome crosses using our aphylla based iris that are fertile !!!  So far we are getting unique colors and great vigor from many of the crosses.
If any of you are interested in the 'smaller' iris.  Try some aphylla based iris. Paul Black, who is noted in the median field, has been working with aphylla based iris for several years and is getting some very interesting results. There are many other hybridizers who are starting to work with these non TB iris.
I realize that the great big TB's are super eye catchers and the most popular bearded iris, but these little guys extend the bloom season and they attract many onlookers earlier in the season.  I love 'em all !