Re: HYB seed pods

  • Subject: Re: HYB seed pods
  • From: "loic tasquier" <tasquierloic@cs.com>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 22:32:44 +0200

Hi Vicki

Most of them   just get paler, a bit dryer, and i don't want to risk loosing them by letting split open without my noticing, so i cut them and bring them inside where they finish ripening in the dry.
We've also had so much rain these last two weeks that some started to get dark spots of rot.
In fact some have to be put in the dry because they could rot, some others might open and loose most of their seeds, it's not only one reason why i take some inside.
Some are also in pots with a bit of water because the stem rot at the base before the pod was ripe!

So half are now inside, and half are still ripening outside.

When the seeds are finally dry, i put them in paper envelopes and keep them in a dry place till November. Then, i plant them outside in pots, and they germinate in March April May.

Last year i had more 500, so there is no way i could put them in the fridge...anyway, our winters can be very cold, and it's enough to triger germination.

The only thing i do is water them everyday in march if the weather is too dry, because they really need to be washed of their inhibitors.

Loïc