Re: TB Photo: GUATEMALA

Hi Beverly

Here in South Australia, there are many iris growers, mostly bearded which grow very well here. We are basically a zone 9/10, with soil pHs ranging from below 6 to over 8.5. We find that some irises, partic later and darker varieties, benefit from some afternoon shade.
Also the trick is to ensure that they get cold enough in winter and are not near heat retaining walls and paths. Full shade in winter is good.
However when we have heatwaves here (over 100oF, 37oC, often for 5-10 days) the humidity is very low, typically less than 20%. So our summers are very hot and dry, with very little rain, similar to southern California.
I'm wondering if the problem in Houston is too much summer humidity, coupled with insufficient winter cooling.
Also the rhizomes benefit from being covered by a half to an inch of soil.
Remember as cold as possible in winter and hot and dry in summer, with drip watering only once every 2-3 weeks .

Colleen Modra
South Australia.

Beverly Robinson wrote:

Marge, I live just east of Houston, TX. As I mentioned, I do have two
irises that grow and bloom here. I also have other iris plants that I
believe are TB but although they grow they haven't bloomed as yet and
I have had them for several years. Maybe I am like your "south of the
border" friends whose irises don't do well. I don't think it has to
do with my soil as I grow anything in the Amaryllis family, daylilies
and other common flowering plants. It does get hot here. Today it is
near 100 and we desperately need rain.
I look at the pictures you and other growers show and I just about die
wishing I could grow them. Thanks for your reply.
Beverly Robinson

--
Wild Ginger Software Certified Educator