Re:Breeding for blue beards on white

  • Subject: Re:Breeding for blue beards on white
  • From: irischapman@aim.com
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 07:32:59 -0400

Using Sly Fox would not be the best route towards this goal.. Any iris
with a cartenoid beard would work against increasing anthocyanin.

There have been a few good iris that aproach this goal. If you can
find it MARGARET VIOLA WHITE by Lloyd Zurbrig would be a good one
to use. The best in this colour that I know of.

To get a dark black beard on white, you need something heavy in
aphylla inheritence to start with and then as many doses of the
dominant reduction of anthocyanin "I" as you can get. You need the
anthocyanin enhancement gene "Ae" to get the dark beard, and this is in
a lot of dark blues/near blacks that have aphylla in background. Then
as many dosages of I as you can get. This route has produced a number
of pale blues with very dark beard such as Codicil, and Blackbeard.
Then cross to white with anthocyanin in beard. As beard gets darker it
is harder to repress the anthocyanin in petals, so it ends up being a
compomise. Using something like Sly fox could darken beard by having
both cartenoid and anthocyanin in beard. It would take some doing,
(many generations) but need to cross to something near black with dark
beard, not a light blue like Lady Celesta. Lady Celesta doesn't have
the Ae gene.

Chuck Chapman

Re: HYB TB Photo: SLY FOX x CELESTE correction

Posted by: "Margie
Valenzuela"
IrisLady@comcast.net

iris85737

Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:48 pm (PDT)

Thank you Chuck, yes that all does make sense.

Question: the goal with this specific cross was to see if I could come
up with a pure white TB with a dark blue beard, how probable is that?

~ Margie V.

Oro Valley, AZ.