Re: HYB: how many should I plant?
  • Subject: Re: HYB: how many should I plant?
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 07:29:03 -0400

Thanks for the thoughts, folks.

All I was going for when I made the cross was getting some more TEA
LEAVES summer rebloom strength into the <mix> (plus those recessives),
not really trying to get rebloom this generation. The idea was to maybe
get a few more highly fertile healthy breeders carrying some potential
to pull out recessives ("summer" rebloom, tangerine/pink/orange, plus
some (hidden) dominants (blue amoena), plus who knows what else) in
future crosses.

So part of my inability to figure out what to do with the unexpected
bumper crop of seeds from this particular cross is that there is some
potential to actually get one or more of those recessives in <this>
generation. But a lot of labor and commitment, esp when I have a bunch
of different crosses this year with much better odds of getting the
recessives I want.

I think what I will do is burrito 70 or so (to make sure at least some
will germinate if we go back to "normal" iris hell winter weather this
year plus that will give me a much better shot at fall bloom next year),
line out the strongest 30 or so. Plant the rest of the seeds outdoors
for the winter, hold them in germination pots till I see what the
burrito'd babies do. Let them join the 50 or so weedy pots of other
seedlings in the same boat.

Some of the stronger seedlings here do tend to be ones that are second
year (or second cycle chilling after initial burrito). I haven't used
TEA LEAVES a lot, but it may be one that take two years. Then again,
with those CA selected genes from Byers, maybe not.

Linda Mann east TN USA zone 7