[PHOTO] I. lazica vs I. douglasiana | Sat, 16 Jun 2001 22:38:33" />

[PHOTO] I. lazica vs I. douglasiana

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] I. lazica vs I. douglasiana
  • From: Kenneth Walker <kenww@pacbell.net>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 20:22:03 -0700

There has been some discussion in the iris-talk group about
some seeds that were distributed as I. lasiza but seem to be
I. douglasiana. The first picture I'm attaching is a close up of
the styles of a plant that I obtained from The Iris Gallery that
is quite certainly the real I. lazica. It has the distinctive "unguicularis"
styles: the three style arms come together to form a tube. It
seems that iris of no other series do this. In other iris, the style arms
come together down at the petals. There is also "gold dust"
on the style arms formed by some kind of yellow glands. It show
up well on this photo, though is less obvious on some varieties
of I. unguicularis. If a flower has styles with these characteristics,
it is either I. unguicularis (maybe the variety cretensis) or I. lazica.

The second photo is of the iris I grew from the supposed lazica
seeds. The flower has a true stem rather than just a long perianth
tube and the styles are wrong. It appears to be a PCN. One
characteristic of I. douglasiana is that the ovary has a nipple-like
appex. By comparing a douglasiana I grow with a couple other
PCN species, I'm pretty sure I understand what that means, and
this plant has that characteristic.

   Ken Walker
   Concord, CA USA
   USDA Zone 9; Sunset Zone 14