[PHOTO] Yaquina Blue | Fri, 29 Jun 2001 07:12:36" />

[PHOTO] Yaquina Blue

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] Yaquina Blue
  • From: laurief <laurief@paulbunyan.net>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 01 07:12:29 -0000

You all may have noticed I've been posting my pics alphabetically, but
I'm going to jump around a bit with today's set to accommodate a few
requests.  I'll go back to alphabetical order tomorrow.

YAQUINA BLUE (Schreiner, 1992) TB

After its first winter here in MN, YB managed to produce a very short and
deformed stalk with only a single bud.  When that bud opened, however, it
yielded a flower at least half again larger than ANY other iris bloom in
my garden (almost grotesquely big, IMHO) that made me rather grateful it
didn't grow a normal sized stalk.  I can't imagine how a tall stalk could
hold up several of those blooms at the same time, and I don't have any
extra metal fenceposts lying around at the moment with which to stake it!
 ;-)  The bloom was so large, in fact, that the standards seemed unable
to support their own weight properly and assumed a rather unattractive
posture (to my eye).  I surely cannot fault the color, however.  It
produced the truest dark blue in my garden - undeniably gorgeous.
Hopefully some of these other problems will disappear after YB has had
another year to acclimate to MN and my garden.

zone 3b northern MN - clay soil