Re: Tetraploid median seedling

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Tetraploid median seedling
  • From: Sterling Okase sterling_o@yahoo.com
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 15:49:35 -0700 (PDT)

Christy,

I can't decide if I like the "etching" or not. On
Zandria it looks like a starburst type pattern but on
this seedling, it just looks like heavy haft markings,
often found on the diploid MTB varieties. I am torn.

I would give you some if it were growing any better.
So far this is not growing very well and it only has 7
buds. I prefer at least 10. The other parent was
Hager's Devotee and both parents tend to have low bud
count. Over the years, it seems I get better plants
(i.e. vigor, branching, bud count) when using the
Craig hybrids. The Hager hybrids seem to give me good
flower form but crummy branching. I tend to lean
toward better branching when selecting seedlings to
keep. But of course, the advantage of tetraploid
median breeding is that fertility is not as big a
problem as breeding with mixed chromosome things like
IBs. So there is always the next generation to look
forward to. I think anyone interested in breeding
medians should definitely explore a tetraploid cross
or two. They will be amazed at the branching and bud
count in just the first generation.

Anyway, if I ever get a tetraploid seedling that I can
feel confident of, I will share it with you.

Sterling
Seattle, WA. USA zone 8

http://calendar.yahoo.com