Re: What is this beardless beauty?

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] What is this beardless beauty?
  • From: "Hensler" hensler@povn.net
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 07:36:49 -0700

Hi Gerry,

It looks like the soil your iris is growing in is on the poor dry side....
If so, the strange looking fans wouldn't be unusual for members of the
pseudacorus groups. Stressful conditions can also slightly mess up normally
crisp color patterns especially where purple pigments are involved. (Been
there, done that, had some really ugly blooms... :-)).

Check out the image of Holden Clough at Joy Creek Nursery at
http://www.joycreek.com/041-017D4.htm . (My hunch is that you probably do
have a clump of HOLDEN CLOUGH. :-))

The signal strongly suggests I. pseudacorus in any case, so my
recommendation would be to give the plant richer soil and considerably more
water before trying to positively identify it.

Christy
Skip & Christy Hensler
THE ROCK GARDEN
Newport, WA