Re: A picture is worth a thousand words

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] A picture is worth a thousand words
  • From: Patricia Wenham h.schinkep@verizon.net
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 12:20:19 -0700

I was intrigued by the Spuria pictures and decided to try raising some.  I have another story to tell about people who became interested in our local Iris Society because they saw some pictures.

I ordered the videos from Bobby Baxter which he took at the 2003 Iris convention.  I shared the videos with our club president who is a very busy woman.  She is an iris judge, volunteer at FHC and an officer at the Senior Center in her town as well as being very active in our club.  We live about 45 miles apart so she wanted to return the video when she came to a meeting in our town.  She used a bit of time while she was at the Senior Center to view one of the videos in a vacant room.  Another group was meeting at the building and was viewing a video that was not very interesting to most of them.  A member from that group heard my video being played and stopped to watch it.  They then asked if our president would share it with them as they liked it better than the one they were watching.  She showed part of it and answered many questions and  promoted our rhizome sale as much as possible.  I believe that some of those people will purchase some iris and you all know what happens in such a situation, Iris Virus and potential new members.  I loaned the other video to our president and she may have another opportunity to show it to gatherings where there are potential new iris growers.  What an easy way to recruit new members. I hope to offer it to our local garden club as well.  Our FFA youngsters have a plant sale in spring so perhaps they would like to view the video as well.

I do not want to be the only one in my town with Iris Virus so I think I will try to spread it with a video.  Meanwhile I am wishing for a Spuria video as well.

USDA Zone 5
Central WA State

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor